The second match of the 14th season of IPL is being played between Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Delhi Capitals (DC) in Mumbai. Batting first after losing the toss, the Chennai team gave a target of 189 runs. In response, Delhi team openers Prithvi Shaw and Shikhar Dhawan are at the crease.
Suresh Raina made his 39th fifty in the IPL. Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma also equaled the most in terms of Fifty. The trio are jointly at number three. The highest number of 48 fifties in the league is named David Warner. Shikhar Dhawan is at number two with 41 fifty.
Chennai Super Kings scored 188 runs losing 7 wickets. Suresh Raina scored the highest innings of 54 runs off 36 balls. Apart from them, Moin Ali scored 36, Sam Karan 34, Ravindra Jadeja 26, and Ambati Rayudu scored 23 runs. Fast bowler Avesh Khan took 2 wickets for Delhi.
Dhoni has been out on zero in IPL 4 times.
CSK's poor start, Raina took 2 big partnerships
- The Chennai team had a very poor start. The team lost 2 wickets in 2 consecutive overs for 7 runs. Avesh Khan lbw Faf du Plessis in the second over of the match.
- Chris Woakes, with the third over, got Rituraj Gaikwad caught by Shikhar Dhawan. Rituraj scored 5 runs off 8 balls.
- The CSK team scored 33 runs losing 2 wickets in the power-play (6 overs). Raina shared a 53-run partnership with Moin Ali for 38 balls for the third wicket.
- The team got its third setback for 60 runs. Moin Ali returned to bat at number three, but Raina held one end.
- Raina completed his fifty with a six on the last ball of the 13th over. He partnered 63 runs off 33 balls for the fourth wicket with Rayudu.
- The Chennai team lost the fourth wicket in the form of Ambati Rayudu at a score of 123. Tom Karan sent Rayudu to the pavilion for 23 runs.
- The team was able to add 14 runs that Suresh Raina, playing FIFTY, was run out in the affair of stealing a run. Raina scored 54 off 36 balls.
- The team lost 2 wickets in a row on 137 runs. Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni returned to the pavilion after Raina. Avesh Khan bowled cleanly to Dhoni without opening an account.
- CSK added 52 runs losing 3 wickets in the last 5 overs. Jadeja and Sam Karan shared 51 runs off 28 balls for the 7th wicket.
In the first match as captain, Rishabh Pant won the toss against Dhoni's team.
Rishabh Pant is captaining the league for the first time. In the very first match, he won the toss against Mahendra Singh Dhoni's CSK team. Pant, who considers Dhoni as an ideal, now has the challenge to prove himself on the captaincy fronts. Along with captaincy, there is also the pressure of good batting on Pant.
England's two brothers face to face
England also has two brothers Sam Karan and Tom Karan face to face in this match. Sam plays for the Chennai team, while Tom Karan's debut match for the Delhi Capitals.
In both teams, foreign
players Faf du Plessis, Moin Ali, Sam Karan, and Dwayne Bravo got the opportunity in CSK's playing-11. The DC team included Marcus Stoinis, Shimron Hetmyer, Chris Woakes, and Tom Karan.
- Chennai: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Rituraj Gaikwad, Faf du Plessis, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Moin Ali, Ravindra Jadeja, Sam Karan, Dwayne Bravo, Shardul Thakur, and Deepak Chahar.
- Delhi: Rishabh Pant (captain), Prithvi Shaw, Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Marcus Stoinis, Shimron Hetmyer, Chris Woakes, Tom Karan, R.K. Ashwin, Amit Mishra, and Avesh Khan.
Last season, Delhi defeated Chennai in both the matches.
The previous season did not end well for Dhoni's team. CSK crashed out of the playoffs for the first time and stood at No. 7. Last season, Chennai played 2 matches against Shreyas Iyer captained the Delhi team, and lost in both.
Chennai played the finals 8 most times
CSK has played the finals 8 times in the league (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2018, 2019). Won the title 3 times (2018, 2011, 2010) during this period. At the same time, the Delhi team could play the final only once. This opportunity was received last season. Then Mumbai Indians were defeated.
Talking about the 23 matches between head-to-head Delhi and Chennai so far, Chennai has the upper hand. Chennai has won 15 matches. At the same time, Delhi's team has been able to win 8 matches, but in the last season, Delhi had defeated Chennai in both encounters. In the first match in 2020, Delhi defeated Chennai by 44 runs and in the second match by 5 wickets.