10th May, 2021
The government has issued an advisory on the increased risk of fungal infections called mucormycosis in uncontrolled diabetes and long-term corona infectives living in the ICU. The government has said that ignoring this infection can be fatal. Therefore, it is necessary to take preventive measures. The Ministry of Health and the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has issued an evidence-based advisory regarding its screening, diagnosis, and management.
These are the reasons
- Uncontrolled diabetes- Immunosuppression due to steroids
- Stay in ICU more time
Avoid like this
- Apply the mask on the dusty area
- When doing a soil and manure work, keep the body completely covered with shoes, gloves
- Pay full attention to cleanliness through scrub bath
- Nasal jam, black or red discharge from the nose
- Chest bone pain
- Pain or swelling on one side of the face
- Toothache, breakage of teeth
- Jaw pain
- Blurring or twitching with pain
- Chest pain and breathlessness
What to do?
- Control high blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Diabetic people and people recovering from corona keep an eye on blood glucose
- Take full care of time and dosage in the use of steroids
- Use antibiotics and antifungal medicines carefully
what not to do?
- Do not ignore the symptoms
- Do not hesitate to get an examination done to detect a fungal infection
Timely treatment is necessary, so do not waste time
- Keep in mind these things after you know
- Control diabetes
- When taking steroids, reduce the amount and stop using soon
Cases in Gujarat-Maharashtra
Mucormycosis, which is colloquially referred to as black fungus, has resulted in many patients. Among the people suffering from this problem, the biggest danger is blindness with a variety of problems. Most of its cases are still found in Maharashtra and Gujarat. Fifty such patients have been treated in Surat, Gujarat while 60 more are to be treated. Seven of these patients have lost eye light. According to reports from Mumbai, in Maharashtra, at least eight patients have become blind due to mucormycosis so far. All of them had recently recovered from Corona. About 200 patients suffering from this problem are being treated.
Stop the use of immunomodulating drugs
- Take other necessary medical treatment related steps