Operation Kaveri: Operation Kaveri started for the safe return of stranded Indians in Sudan; Jaishankar said this
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar has also tweeted about the operation being carried out for the evacuation of Indians from Sudan.
The ongoing conflict between the army and paramilitary forces in Sudan for the past several days is not taking the name of stopping. So far more than 400 people have lost their lives in the violent clash between the two forces. At the same time, more than 3000 people have been injured. Meanwhile, many countries including India have started evacuating their citizens from the violence-hit country. India is running Operation Kaveri to evacuate its citizens from Sudan.
Meanwhile, it has been learned that five Indian nationals have been evacuated from Sudan by a French Air Force flight. French diplomatic sources have given information about this. He told that about 500 people have been brought to the French military base in Djibouti through three flights. These people include Indians as well as people of more than 28 other nationalities.
Foreign Minister gave information
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar has also tweeted about the operation being carried out for the evacuation of Indians from Sudan. He told in his tweet that Operation Kaveri is underway to bring back our citizens stranded in Sudan. Around 500 Indian ports have reached Sudan while others are on the way. Our ships and aircraft are ready to bring them back home. We are committed to helping all our brothers in Sudan.
How many Indians are still stuck in Sudan?
Evacuation of foreign nationals is becoming difficult due to violence, tension and unsafe airports in the country. Meanwhile, the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) is trying to take control of the main international airport in the capital, Khartoum. Around 3,000 Indians are among the stranded foreign nationals. At the same time, 48-year-old Albert Augustine from Kerala has died due to bullet injuries.
The government is taking these steps for the evacuation of Indians
India is keeping a close watch on the entire matter regarding the safety of the Indians trapped there. In a statement issued on Sunday, the Ministry of External Affairs said that efforts are on to ensure the safety of Indians in Sudan. The Ministry is in touch with the United Nations, the Indian Embassy in Sudan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and the United States. It informed that two C-130J aircraft of the IAF have been asked to stand by in Jeddah, while INS Sumedha has reached Port Sudan.
The Ministry of External Affairs informed that the Government of India is making every effort to ensure the safety of its citizens stranded in Sudan. We are closely following the complex and evolving security situation in Sudan. India is in close dialogue with various partners for the safe evacuation of Indians seeking to leave Sudan. Sudanese airspace is currently closed to all foreign aircraft. Risks and logistical challenges remain in overland movement.
Let us tell you that on Friday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi called a high-level meeting to review the security of Indians trapped in civil war-affected Sudan. In the meeting, Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar also participated and apprised the PM about the current situation in Sudan.
Nations started evacuation operations
Information about internet ban in entire Sudan has also come to the fore. On Sunday, Britain's armed forces evacuated British diplomats and their families from the country. Informing about the successful operation, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak asked both sides to lay down their arms and immediately implement a humanitarian ceasefire.
Earlier, the Rapid Support Forces, along with the American troops, evacuated the embassy in Washington. Also on Saturday, the Sudanese army helped to evacuate diplomats from China and France by military plane out of the country. The same day, the Saudi Foreign Ministry reported that 91 of its nationals had been evacuated, along with citizens of India, Kuwait, Pakistan, Qatar, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Tunisia, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Canada, the Philippines and Burkina Faso.
This is the reason for the ongoing violence in Sudan
Recent violent incidents have their roots in the coup that took place three years ago. Indeed, in April 2019, longtime autocrat Omar al-Bashir was ousted from power by military generals amid a rebellion. Since then the military has been running the country through a sovereign council. The army and RSF rivalry dates back to the regime of President Omar al-Bashir. The reason for the latest clash is that the Sudanese army believes that the RSF is a paramilitary force and should not be included in the army.