Manipur Violence: Violence erupts again in Manipur, heavy firing between two groups, homes and schools burnt
The exchange of fire between two groups started late Saturday evening in Bishnupur district.
Time to Read 3 Min
Violence in Manipur is not taking the name of stopping. The exchange of fire between two groups started late Saturday evening in Bishnupur district. Women blocked roads and burnt tyres. According to media reports, more than a hundred people from the Kuki community burnt some houses and a school belonging to the Meitei community in Trobung gram panchayat of Bishnupur district. Security forces reached the spot and controlled the situation. BJP MLA from Kumbi Sanasam Premchandra Singh said, all of them had come from Churachandpur district and suddenly attacked.
Ethnic violence has been going on in Manipur for more than 80 days, in which more than 150 people have died. Recently, a video of two women from the Kuki community being stripped naked and paraded on the road came to the fore. Which has shaken the whole country. Police on Saturday arrested two more people in the case of stripping women and gang-raping them. One of them is 19 years old and the other is juvenile. So far some six arrests have been made in this case. Earlier, on July 20, the police had arrested four accused.
Case in another case of gang rape and murder
In a separate incident, a tribal woman has registered a case at Saikul police station that on May 4, her 21-year-old daughter and her 24-year-old friend were also gang-raped and brutally murdered by a mob after entering their house.
Violence started from Churachandpur
The violence in Manipur began on May 3 in Churachandpur district, about 63 km south of state capital Imphal. Kuki tribals are more in this district. On April 28, The Indigenous Tribal Leaders Forum announced an eight-hour bandh in Churachandpur to protest against the government land survey. In no time, this bandh took a violent form. The same night, miscreants set the forest department office on fire in Tuibong area. In the violence of 27-28 April, mainly the police and the Kuki tribals were face to face.
Mizoram assures security to Meitei people
At the same time, the Mizoram government on Saturday assured the people of Meitei community living in the state of safety and asked them not to pay attention to rumours. The government's assurance came amid reports of exodus of Meiteis from the state. In fact, an organization had asked Meiteis to leave the state after a video surfaced of two women being paraded naked by a mob in Manipur. Following this, state Home Commissioner and Secretary H. Lalengmawia held a meeting with leaders of the Meitei community and assured them of security, a statement said.

