The US embassy in Caracas carried out an evacuation drill
The drill included the overflight of two helicopters that had soldiers on board, and the entry of fire personnel and ambulances to its diplomatic headquarters.
The United States began an evacuation drill of its embassy in Caracas this Saturday with the overflight of two helicopters, which had soldiers on board, and the entry of fire personnel and ambulances to its diplomatic headquarters, according to EFE.
The drill, which is carried out “in the event of possible medical situations” or catastrophes, began after 10:00 local time (14:00 GMT).
"A US military response exercise is currently being carried out at the US Embassy in Caracas. Ensuring the army's rapid response capacity is a key component of mission preparation, both here in Venezuela and around the world," the US diplomatic representation said on its social networks.
The embassy accompanied the message with a video of the landing of the two aircraft at its diplomatic headquarters and added that it continues to “move forward” in the White House's three-phase plan for Venezuela, after the capture of Nicolás Maduro: stabilization, recovery and transition.
The Government of Venezuela reported on Thursday that it authorized the United States to carry out a drill at its embassy in Caracas this Saturday as part of “regular security and diplomatic protection protocols.”
The Executive of the president in charge, Delcy Rodríguez, indicated that two aircraft would carry out controlled overflights in Caracas and landing operations at the facilities of the diplomatic headquarters, located in a mountainous area of the Venezuelan capital.
As reported at the time by the Chavista Executive, the activity is carried out in coordination with the Venezuelan aeronautical authorities, responsible for "authorizing and supervising the overflights required for said exercise, as well as with other national bodies and institutions involved in the care and security protocols."
The Rodríguez Administration also said that the drill would have “the coordination and participation of the Venezuelan Red Cross in the components associated with the evacuation and emergency response exercise.”
Both countries reestablished diplomatic and consular relations last March, two months after the capture of Nicolás Maduro in Caracas in January by US forces and after seven years of rupture.
Currently, the US diplomatic team is headed by the chargé d'affaires in Caracas, John Barrett, who replaced Laura Dogu last month.

